Outfit: Navy pinafore and a floral ruffled blouse


At first, I'm not quite sure what name should I use for calling this dress.. Some people call this sort of dress a pinafore dress or just pinafore, some call it an apron dress, some call it overall, and some call it jumper (yet for European jumper is another name for sweater). Eventually, after a bit of "research" (read: googling.. ^^), I prefer to call it, a pinafore. 

Here are the results of my digging into the name or type of this dress. Hopefully it can also add a little knowledge for you who still do not know yet the different between these terms, or are having a little debate with your friends trying to decide its name:
Overall, in North America, described as a garment consisting of trousers with a front flap over the chest held up by straps over the shoulders, made of sturdy material and worn especially as casual or working clothes. So, it's more accurately for trousers.

As for jumper (dress) and pinafore or pinafore dress, according to Wikipedia:
A jumper (in American English), pinafore dress or pinafore (in British English) is a sleeveless, collarless dress intended to be worn over a blouse, shirt or sweater. In British English, the term jumper describes what is called a sweater in American English. Also, in more formal British usage, a distinction is made between a pinafore dress and a pinafore. The latter, though a related garment, has an open back and is worn as an apron. In American English, a pinafore always refers to an apron.

A sundress, like a jumper, is sleeveless and collarless; however, such articles are not worn over a blouse or sweater, and are of distinctly different cuts and fashions. The apron dress may be viewed as a special case of the jumper. If the design of the dress is directly inspired by an apron (having a bib in front and ties in the back, for example), the garment is typically described as an apron dress.
I love pinafores and pinafore dresses. I love their versatility to be mix-and-match and how they look over a blouse or shirt. I've already had a few of them in my closet, and still I can not resist to own it even more when I see a pretty -- and in affordable price -- pinafore (dress).

The pinafore I wore in this post looked so nice paired with a blouse/shirt which has ruffles at the front part since the pinafore's style has an open V-cut at the front. Also, this over-sized blouse give me a bit feel of the Edwardian style I saw in these vintage photographs. Now I might need a puffed-sleeves top with high collar..

Outfit details:
old scarf
vintage blouse
Nanny's Closet pinafore
Saya pants (old)
floral blue socks (old)
unbranded shoes
*pictures by Lady Elmas & IR


SHARE THIS POST

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and love reading each one of your comments.. also feel free to e-mail me!

Follow on Instagram

Instagram

Follow Us