Outfit and Review: UNIQLO x Hana Tajima SS16 Scarf


Today's outfit is inspired by Uniqlo lookbook's style of effortlessly-chic, casual, and simple. This is a simple basic outfit of only a basic long-sleeved tee paired with a cotton-rayon skirt with pockets. Things that spice up this outfit are definitely this Uniqlo's scarf and my favorite oxford shoes. I also add a little 'egg' pin and 'bear-head' doll hanging on the scarf, to add a quirky touch to my look... -- I'll show you how I hanged this little 'bear-head' doll onto my scarf on my next post InshaAlloh (UPDATE: here's the post to see how I did this).

The scarf I wore is from Uniqlo x Hana Tajima's Spring-Summer 2016 collection. This collection is a second collaboration (the first was for Uniqlo's FW15) between Uniqlo and Hana Tajima (UK-Japan Muslim designer). From the very first I put on this scarf on my head, I fell in love with it right away.

I especially love the design; how this scarf look when being worn and how it 'shapes' our face. This is something new. The look this scarf creates is different with other common scarf/shawl creates. The fabric also is so comfortable to wear; it's airy and cool. And all of these come in practicality. So, three main things this scarf brings are unique design, comfortable fabric, and practicality.

  • Design:
When you see this scarf for the first time, being worn at the collection-launching event or at Uniqlo's website, you might be think that it's so 'Hana Tajima'. Some of you might have already knew of Hana Tajima's signature style: her unique, relaxed, flowy hijab look.

Looking at this scarf's design -- which has innovative cut --, probably not all women will love this look, or feel it meets her style. This is how I felt, too, at first. Then I had a thought that it all depends on how you style it. It can be styled to be look like Tajima's signature style, or it can be styled to look as the way you want it to be.

It's not that I don't like Tajima's style. It really suits my taste (and my face, no?), and I also can make several other looks from this scarf that suit my own style. I love its sort of 'hoodie' that gives structured effect and some volume around your head. The innovative split-cut on the front can give an asymmetrical look to your face, which I love -- I personally love the split-cut placed on the side rather that in the middle of your forehead. Or, you can 'hide' this split by styling it differently.

I personally in love with this scarf's design. I've been looking for a new design in hijab, not only just another fabrics, colors, or prints. 

The size (approximately 160 x 65 cm) is perfect for this style, not too long and not too short. You can style it covering chest or bring it to the back to show off your pretty collar..

As for the colours, there are two option: solid colors and dip dye colors.

  • Fabric:
The scarf is made of 100% cotton, so it's lightweight, soft, airy, and cool. So comfortable to wear. The fabric also has natural pleated texture.

  • Practicality:
With its sort of hoodie and split-cut at front with the right size, this scarf is so practical to wear (you can call it a semi-instant scarf). You simply place it on your head, tie-up one tip from both side of your scarf at the back of your head.. then, voila! You are good to go. The rest of the scarf is up to you to style it; leave it the way it is, cover your chest, or wrap around your neck, tie at the back, or keep one side at front and bring the other side back, etc. Or, you can style it up like you style your usual shawl.


A bit story behind; honestly it took so much time for me to finally decide buying this scarf. The main thing was because the price tag is out of my budget. I also had a thought that I could easily make 'the look this scarf creates' with all the scarves I already have. I just have to make a split-cut at the forehead using my usual scarf (there are also a few tutorial videos on the net showing you how to create this Hana Tajima-Uniqlo's split-cut look). But all these tutorials are using pins, whereas pins are something I don't want to use right now because I still have a little child that I take care on my own. Using pins has a risk of hurting your child. So, for me, making 'this design' on my own is not practical.

I also searched on the net to see whether the scarf is worth buying. Yet, I couldn't find any review at all about it back then.

Then, when Uniqlo was having a big sale, I decided to give it a try. And I'm so glad I bought it! It's so practical and suits my aesthetic. I even wish all my scarves were 'Hana Tajima x Uniqlo SS16' scarf... The only down side is the limited color-option.

So, if you like the look of this scarf and you know how you're going to style it, I think it's worth it to get your hands on this scarf...

Outfit details:
old t-shirt
old skirt
old socks
Lower East Side shoes
Tommy Hilfiger watch (similar)
Pinfolks pin
'bear-head' doll accessory

*all pictures by me


SHARE THIS POST

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Salam Rania. Cool...Saya termasuk yang "old fashioned" mungkin ya... btw suka banget sama sepatunya.. karena sudah hampir summer disini mungkin saya bisa dapatkan harga murah dengan model kayak itu :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and love reading each one of your comments.. also feel free to e-mail me!

Follow on Instagram

Instagram

Follow Us